Friday, February 20, 2009

FAMILY MEMORIES #2

This is a wonderful memory from our home in Te Puke, New Zealand. Every year in duck-shooting season my father would come home each morning with his limit bag of ducks. He would hang them up ready to pluck. Back in the early days we didn't have a deep freeze and we would eat stuffed wild ducks every night for the three weeks of duck-shooting season. We loved it. The first night of the season my mother would cook three ducks--a whole one for Dad and the other two for my mother and us three children. It was never quite the same experience in later years when we got a deep freeze and could space the eating of ducks throughout the year. It was quite amazing eating them every night for three weeks! We eventually had two huge deep freezes which my father kept filled with meat--wild duck, turkey, pheasants, venison (he was a great deer-stalker and loved to stalk the deer) and of course lamb (the meat we eat mostly in New Zealand).

My brother Grant, myself and my sister, Kate with our parents. Mother and girls are dressed the same, the dresses all made by my mother.

Notice my father's jacket. Not only did my mother make all her own clothes, but she made my father's trousers and jackets too.

A month or so before my father died. He went to glory on the 29 December, 2007.