Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Evan Roberts Revival in Wales

After preaching all day we went back to stay with our lovely hosts. They lived nearby Blaenannerch Chapel where the great revival in Wales started. We couldn't miss the opportunity to see it. Colin and I are sitting in the very spot where Evan Roberts was baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Colin sitting in the very pew.

Colin thought he would get a feel of the pulpit.
Colin and I were deeply affected by visiting this church where the revival started. Evan Roberts was born June 8 1878. He always had a heart for God. At 13 years he started praying for revival. At the age of 26 he had been praying for revival for 13 years. During the spring of the year the revival started he would wake from 1.00 am to 4.00 am to be in the presence of the Lord.
On 29 September at the prayer meeting at Blaenannerch Chapel God met him again. He said, "I fell on my knees with my arms over the seat in front of me, and the tears and perspiration flowed freely. I thought blood was gushing forth. For about two minutes it was fearful. I cried, "Bend me! Bend me! Bend us!" I was bent in body and soul until my face was black and blue. After I was bent a wave of peace came over me. Oh wonderful, this is life! You've heard it said of joy being felt by men to the tops of their fingers. Yes, it is literally true!"
From this moment the revival started and it is estimated that 100,000 souls came into the kingdom during a two year period. It not only affected Wales, but many countries of the world.
The meetings were totally guided by the Holy Spirit. One writer said, "For the most part he walked up and down the ailes, open Bible in hand, exhoting one, encouraging another, and kneeling with a third to implore a blessing from the throne of grace."
Although the cry and prayer of the revival was, "Lord, Bend me," yet another wrote, "He smiles when he prays. He laughs when he exhorts."